Origin of place names in Upper Beaconsfield and surrounds
Place NameHistoryName
A'Beckett RoadThe A'Beckett family lived at the end of A'Beckett Road from 1880 until 1964. Edward F A'Beckett owned a property in Gembrook where he had a house from 1874 to 1876, but considered Upper Beaconsfield more convenient.Edward Fitzhaley A'Beckett
Albers RoadClaus Albers
Armstrong RoadEdmund La Touche Armstrong
Barnes DriveIn 1979 the Shire of Pakenham contacted the Upper Beaconsfield Association and the Berwick-Pakenham Historical Society as to the naming of an unnamed street, leading off Beaconsfield-Emerald Road (north of High Street, Guys Hill). It sought comments as to any early settlers, or history, pertaining to this road. Together, the historical society and the Upper Beaconsfield Association decided that the road should bear the name of Barnes. Council adopted the suggestion and conveyed their thanks to the UBA on 31 October 1979Frank Douglas Barnes
Berglund RoadCharles Alexander Berglund
Walnut GroveNamed after the property 'Walnut Grove' owned by Dr John Blair. This property was used as the female Inebriate Retreat in the 1890sDr John Blair
Borchardt StreetMax Borchardt
Brennan AvenueStarted to subdivide his property in 1956, which then became Brennan Estate from 1959 onwards. He owned the land (272 acres) since 1946.Bernard Joseph Brennan
Brisbane StreetWilliam Brisbane
Buchanan RoadAlexander Andrew Buchanan
Buckleigh LaneCouncil adopted a recommendation of John Milligan to name a road running off Telegraph Road, Buckleigh Lane, after Bill Buckleigh. The road reservation is adjacent to the property once owned by this colourful former resident.William Arthur Buckleigh
Burton RoadHarry Alexander Burton
Carpenter RoadWorthy Carpenter
R J Chambers ReserveOn motion of Cr. J. Russell, and Cr. G. Hosking at the Council Meeting held on 23 May 1977, Council resolved:— "That the land known as Shelton’s at Pakenham Upper be named “The R. J. Chambers Flora and Fauna Reserve” also in recognition of the Shire Engineer’s forty-four (44) years outstanding service to this Shire."Ronald Joseph Thekla Chambers
Bimbimbie Drivein Dewhurst. Named after the property 'Bimbimbie'. When Stuart Andrews aquired the property in 1940, he gave it the name 'Bimbimbie'. The property was built by Dr L L Smith as Louisville, but many of the subsequent owners changed its name. Other names were Dovercourt, Keynedon Court, Tooram Hills, and finally Bimbimbie. The house was destroyed by fire in February 1959. Bimbimbie Drive would have received its name when the Clancys subdivided their propertyJames 'Jim' Clancy
Bimbimbie Drivein Dewhurst. Named after the property 'Bimbimbie'. When Stuart Andrews aquired the property in 1940, he gave it the name 'Bimbimbie'. The property was built by Dr L L Smith as Louisville, but many of the subsequent owners changed its name. Other names were Dovercourt, Keynedon Court, Tooram Hills, and finally Bimbimbie. The house was destroyed by fire in February 1959. Bimbimbie Drive would have received its name when the Clancys subdivided their propertyPatrick Joseph Clancy
Corringham RoadTamara Miller was the owner of the land when Corringham estate was subdivided. In London she lived on a Corringham Road, hence the name.Tamara Sidonia Eugenia Coates
Craik RoadGeorge Crabb Craik
Lukedenn DriveNamed after Vera Luke and Ernest Dennis. A similar name combination, also associated to the Luke family, is Montuna GroveErnest Albert Dennis
Dickie RoadWilliam Dickie
Downey Roadin Dewhurst. Clifton Downey owned land adjoining Downey Road from the early 1930s. He subdivided his land in the early 1960s, and the newly formed road was named after him.Clifton Leopold Downey
Foott RoadCecil Henry Foott
Fox Roadsubdivided c1960Leslie Thomas Fox
Funnell RoadFrederick Funnell
Glismann RoadBeaconsfieldJohan Glismann
Harpfield RoadHarpfield Road was named after the property of the Goff family 'Harpfields'. There is road in Beaconsfield called Goff RoadWilliam Henry Goff
Halford StreetGeorge Britton Halford
Hamilton ReserveEdwin Cecil Hamilton
Harris RoadClaud Alfred Harris
Hatfield RoadHenry Hawkins Hatfield
Hepner RoadGustave Adolph Heppner
Inglis Roadin Berwick. John Inglis was an early resident of Berwick, and owned a store and a farm called Gleniston Farm.John Inglis
Kitchen RoadJohn Ambrose Kitchen
Kitchen RoadTheophilus Kitchen
Knapton AvenueOriginally the Beaconsfield-Emerald Road end of Sugarloaf Road was known as Knapton Road, as the Knapton family owned (and subdivided) land there. Then the Sugarloaf Roaf name was adopted for the whole road. When the Brennan Estate was subdivided one of the roads off St Georges Road was called Knapton AvenueFrank Leslie Knapton
Knapton AvenueOriginally the Beaconsfield-Emerald Road end of Sugarloaf Road was known as Knapton Road, as the Knapton family owned (and subdivided) land there. Then the Sugarloaf Roaf name was adopted for the whole road. When the Brennan Estate was subdivided one of the roads off St Georges Road was called Knapton AvenueLeslie William George Knapton
Knapton AvenueOriginally the Beaconsfield-Emerald Road end of Sugarloaf Road was known as Knapton Road, as the Knapton family owned (and subdivided) land there. Then the Sugarloaf Roaf name was adopted for the whole road. When the Brennan Estate was subdivided one of the roads off St Georges Road was called Knapton AvenueWilliam Gustaf Leslie Knapton
Ladd Road / Ladd SquareLadd Road, or Ladd's Road was named after early settler Charles Henry Salter Ladd and his family. A newspaper article on 26 Nov 1958 reports that Cr Claud Harris reverted the road name to an earlier name 'Stockyard Hill Road'. The residents who lived on the road were quite upset and petitioned council to revert the name to Ladd's Road. They were unsuccessful at that time. It appears that by Aug 1959 the road was again known as Ladd's Road.
Originally this road would have been extending to Ladd's property, but after the building of Cardinia Reservoir, the roads are only on the eastern side of Beaconsfield-Emerald Road
Charles Henry Salter Ladd
Leadbetter RoadCharles James Leadbetter
Lenne Streetwas named after Hubert Lenné, the publican who built the first Pine Grove HotelHubert Lenné
Leppitt RoadJohn Leppitt
Lewis Road1958, Dewhurst has a Lewis Road now
Council agreed to the request of the Dewhurst Progress Association that a section of the Beaconsfield Upper-Pakenham Upper Road between "Glenbrae" corner and McArthur's Road be named Lewis Road as a gesture showing the esteem in which Mr J G Lewis is held.
John George Lewis
Montuna GroveMontuna Grove was named after Edmund Luke's children Monty (Montague) and Una LukeEdmund Thomas Luke
Luke PlaceIn 1979 the Shire of Pakenham sought comments as to any early settlers, or history, pertaining to an unnamed road in Guys Hill from the Upper Beaconsfield Association and the Berwick-Pakenham Historical Society. Together they suggested that the road should bear the name of Luke. Council adopted the suggestion and conveyed their thanks to the UBA on 31 October 1979
Lukedenn DriveNamed after Vera Luke and Ernest Dennis. A similar name combination, also associated to the Luke family, is Montuna GroveIda Vera Annie Luke
Manestar RoadFranjo Manestar
Matters RoadMatters was an early selector who owned land east of Huxtable Road - c1873-1885 - Matters donated some land for the Pakenham Upper Hall - this is probably why Matters Road was named after him, even if it is not adjacent to his selection.John Matters
Mc Arthur RoadArthur Norman McArthur
McBride RoadDavid Norman McBride
Morris Road / Morris DriveBasil Moorhouse Morris
Billaroy RoadIn the 1960s Pakenham Council gave Gwynneth Colles the unsolicited liberty of naming a road in UB - thus Billaroy Road (genesis unknown) off Manestar RoadGwynneth Clara Morris
Norbury RoadVictor David Norbury
O'Neill RoadThe O'Neill family had substantial landholdings in Beaconsfield. Elizabeth Mary O'Neill owned PAK-53 (58 acres)Elizabeth Mary O'Neill
O'Neill RoadThe O'Neill family had substantial landholdings in Beaconsfield. John O'Neill owned PAK-54 (178 acres)John O'Neill
O'Neill RoadThe O'Neill family had substantial landholdings in Beaconsfield. Michael O'Neill owned PAK-34 (172 acres);Michael O'Neill
Officer RoadRobert Officer
Critchley Parker ReserveCritchley Parker
Payne RoadJohn Payne
Peterson Roadprobably named after Oscar Peterson who was a storekeeper in Officer for a whileOscar Frederick Peterson
Bathe RoadPlace in Upper Beaconsfield
Beaconsfield-Emerald Road
Blue Ridge Road
Bourkes Creek Road
Canterbury Court
Fairhazel Court
Fraser Avenue
High Street
Hughendon Road
John William Courtnew development opposite Stoney Creek Road intersection
Myrtle Grove
Paul Grove
Quamby Road
Red Hill Road
Rosebank Lane
Salisbury Roadoriginally known as St Georges Parade, but renamed c1935
Split Rock Roadnamed for the 'split rock' on this road
St Georges Roadnamed after St Georges Hospital in London, where Prof Halford used to practise
Stoney Creek Road
Sugarloaf Roadnamed after 'Sugarloaf Hill', which was quarried in 1929/1930. The northern end of Sugarloaf Road was originally known as Knapton Road
Telegraph Roadnamed after the telegraph line that came up this way
Toomuc Valley Road
Tower Roadso named because of the water tower
Turners LaneIn 1994 the unnamed government road was named Turners Lane after its residents Trevor & Ira Turner
Watters Road
Yackatoon Roadapparently so named by the developers
Young Street
Reed AvenueJoseph Martin Reed
Hillview Bushland ReserveFounder of Hillview Quarries - donated 47 ha to form Hillview Bushland Reserve in 2013.Roy Everard Ross
Roy Ross CourtFounder of Hillview Quarries - donated 47 ha to form Hillview Bushland Reserve in 2013. Roy Ross Court named in his honour
LL RoadLouis Lawrence Smith
Sutherland RoadDonald James Sutherland
Thewlis RoadRobert Thewlis
Thomson Road1987: A government road which runs off Albers Road has been named Thomson Road by the Council. Close to the property of Royce Thomson. Council was pleased to perpetuate the Thomson name, as Royce Thomson had done much for the community of Upper Beaconsfield over many many years.Royce David Thomson
McKenzie RoadEmily Mercy Ann MacKenzie selected land along Split Rock Road. It was later transferred into her father James Walford's ownership.Emily Mercy Ann Walford
Walford RoadJames Oliver Walford selected land along Split Rock Road, Berglund and Yackatoon Road. At one time or another he owned crown allotments 22, 29, 43, 47, 50, 51, 52, 71, 71A, 72, 73, 78, 79 of Section C in the Parish of Gembrook. He also bought the 'Big House' (where Pen Bryn is now) from W Brisbane's insolvent estate.James Oliver Walford
William Lindsay Watters
White LaneFrancis Maloney White
Wilks Road, OfficerSelected land in 1877Amelia Emma Wilks
Wilks Road, OfficerSelected land in 1877John Wilks
Charles Wilson WalkThis walk off Salisbury road was named in honour of Dr Charles Wilson, a much respected GP and historian in Upper Beaconsfield. A bench featuring a plaque has been placed along the walkway by the Upper Beaconsfield AssociationDr Charles William Wilson
 

NOTE

Many family sections show only the children who were associated with Upper Beaconsfield.